WordPress users must be aware of their business sites which are hosted on WordPress platforms. Your website may not be 100% secure from hacks and bad bots, hence you need to stop these activity happening on your website by using few best WordPress security plugins. These plugins will provide security to your website by defending bad bots, hackers and phishers.
These plugins will also check malware or virus. Google hate sites containing malware, if found your website may get banned from Google SERPs. So you need to take appropriate steps to secure your blogs from viruses, bots and hackers. Plus, it will also maintain a backup of your blog. The WordPress security plugins listed here are some the most popular among users. Let’s find out what are those plugins
5 Best WordPress Security Plugins
Wordfence is a free enterprise class security plugin that includes a firewall, virus scanning, real-time traffic with geolocation, malicious URL scanning and live traffic including crawlers. Wordfence is 100% free but they also offer premium service through which you can block specific county from access your website.
- Scans core files, WordPress themes & plugins against WordPress.org repository versions to check their properties & integrity.
- WordPress Multi-Site (or WordPress MU) compatible.
- Wordfence Security plugin for multi-site also scans all posts and comments across all blogs from main admin panel.
- Scans for different signatures of over 44,000 known malware variants that are known security threats.
- Scans for many known backdoors including Sniper, C99, R57, RootShell, Crystal Shell, Matamu, Cybershell, W4cking, Predator, Jackal, Phantasma, GFS, Dive, Dx and many many more.
- Continuously scans for malware, bad bots and phishing URL’s including all URL’s on the Google Safe Browsing List in all your posts, comments and files that are security threats.
- Requires: 3.3.1 or higher, Compatible up to: 3.5, Last Updated: 2013-1-19, Downloads: 253,482
2. Better WP Security
Better WP Security acquire the best WordPress security features and techniques and combines them in a single plugin thereby ensuring that as many security holes as possible are patched without having to worry about conflicting features or the possibility of missing anything on your site.
- Easy to rename admin username; Change the urls for WordPress dashboard including login, admin, etc.
- Remove the meta “Generator” tag, turn off the ability to login for a given time period and login error messages, Modify the WordPress database table prefix, wp-content path and User ID.
- Scan your blog/website to instantly tell where vulnerabilities are and fix them in seconds. Prevent brute force attacks by banning hosts and users with too many invalid login attempts.
- Bans troublesome bots, other hosts and troublesome user agents. It also creates and email database backups on a customizable schedule.
- Requires: 3.4.2 or higher, Compatible up to: 3.5, Last Updated: 2012-12-4, Downloads: 347,413
3. BulletProof Security
WordPress Website Security Protection: BulletProof Security protects your WordPress website against Base64, XSS, RFI, CRLF, CSRF, Code Injection and SQL Injection hacking attempts. Provides One-click .htaccess WordPress security protection.
- Protects different core files like wp-config.php, bb-config.php, php.ini , install.php and readme.html with .htaccess security protection. Provides One-click Website Maintenance Mode (HTTP 503).
- Additional website security checks: DataBase errors off, file and folder permissions analysis. System Info: PHP, Memory Usage, MySQL, OS, IP, SAPI, Server, DNS, Max Upload.
- Built-in .htaccess file which allows editing, uploading and downloading.
- Requires: 3.0 or higher, Compatible up to: 3.5, Last Updated: 2012-12-12, Downloads: 463,833
4. 6Scan Security
6Scan Security is the most comprehensive automatic protection your WordPress site can get against hackers. Their security scanner goes beyond the rule-based protection of other WordPress security plugins, providing active penetration testing algorithms to find security threats and vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities are then automatically fixed before hackers can exploit them. Their team of website security experts ensures your protection is always up-to-date and airtight.
- Their Web Application Firewall (WAF) that uses pattern matching to block out even more security threats.
- Provide security against brute-force password hacking and dictionary attacks.
- They provide automatic security scanner that finds and protects against SQL Injection, Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), CSRF
- Directory traversal, Several DoS conditions, Remote file inclusion, , And many more, including all of the OWASP Top Ten security vulnerabilities.
- Requires: 3.0.1 or higher, Compatible up to: 3.5, Last Updated: 2013-1-15, Downloads: 36,819
5. MVIS Security Center
MVIS Security Center is a new WordPress security plugin. It lock down your WordPress installation in 3 simple and clear steps.
- Update Check: Analyzes whether components of WordPress are vulnerable or need updating.
- User Check: Analyzes which of your user accounts have problems that pose risks to your website.
- Core Check: Analyzes which files and settings put your website at risk.
- They Keep track of new threats and vulnerabilities.
- Requires: 3.3 or higher, Compatible up to: 3.4.2, Last Updated: 2013-1-15, Downloads: 797
Thanks for reading , share your tips on securing WordPress sites.